Thursday, December 4, 2008

Some random things since Cara's arrival...

I can't believe it's been almost 4 weeks since Cara's debut!!! Time flies when you're busy! :) I've been so blessed as to have my parents here til last Friday to take care of me and the other 2 kiddies, so it's been not as stressful. Kev then took off this past Monday and Tuesday to help me with the transition and then my mother-in-law was here from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon, so tomorrow will be the first day that I have to take the other 2 kiddies with me when I drop Aidan off at Montessori! We'll see how it goes. I have a game plan ready - we'll see if the kiddies cooperate.

Today was actually the first day that I've been home with the 3 kiddies myself and it went pretty well - thank the Lord! Cara is still sleeping a lot during the day, so I just shifted things around so that they all got some attention. Hehe. Plus, Aidan is pretty good at playing on his own and taking care of his own needs (ie potty, eating) - and he's been a great help in helping Jana when she lets him. :) Jana has been on a 'do-it-myself' kick, which makes everything take extra long! I know once this 'practice' phase is over, she'll be so much more independent, but when Cara starts crying or Aidan really needs me, I really wish she would let me help her sometimes. Just a little confession. :D But at least she's getting pretty close to being able to go potty all by herself....I don't always trust her with the wiping, though. Anyone have any tips on making sure they wipe well?!

Cara is the cleanest baby I've ever had! I can count on ONE HAND the number of times she's spit-up when I'm burping her! [I still remember with Jana, I used to burp her with a burp cloth over my shoulder or draped in front of her and having to change that burp cloth many times a day. ] And because her umbilical cord fell off around day 7, I got to cloth diaper her from that day on and she's had only 1 little leak since then! And I've really enjoyed cloth diapering her - still loving my Loveybum fitteds and wool covers. I've also discovered BubuBebe fitteds, MaiMaiBB Fulled Ewe covers, and Little Boppers fitteds that have been working great. And I realize that I really prefer wool covers over PUL once since I've been able to reuse them maybe times before having to wash them. Anything to save time these days! :)

I've also been finding myself using Swaddle Designs swaddle blankets on a daily basis, along with the Aden + Anais muslin swaddling blankets. They truly rock!! They're really big enough to do a 'good burrito' and Cara loves being swaddled! I know I kinda sound like a commercial for them but honestly, they don't even know I have a blog. LOL! :) [Note: the remainder of this paragraph is mainly meant for female eyes - they speak of undergraments. So, feel free to skip it if you're one of my male readers. :D] As for me, I've discovered nursing bras that don't let the nursing pads show through!!! I finally found them and these are it. (I love how you can take out the lining if you don't need it.) But anyhow, this site has a great selection of nursing bras, even not-so-mommy looking ones and free shipping! And I appreciate all the personal comments on the fit of each bra - very helpful. :) Definitely check them out if you're in need of a good-fitting undergarment! :) Sorry if this is too much information! ;)

Lately, I've been thinking about my interests and realized that I haven't been fostering any of the old ones I used to have: photography, playing my flute or guitar, reading and drawing. It's kinda sad but kids are definitely more, how should I put it, urgent. So I've been re-evaluating what I should do to nurture my interests and found myself interested in different things - I guess it's a different season now, eh? I'm thinking about getting a basic sewing machine and learning how to do some simple projects. Anyone have a good, inexpnesive machine to recommend? I'm also thinking about borrowing a bread machine and making some bread from scratch. I soooo enjoy bread that's fresh out of the oven and love how I can add different things (flax meal, wheat germ, etc) to it to up the nutrition. We also recently bought a digital SLR, so I'm looking forward to relearning the basics. Then, hopefully, you will enjoy some great pics of the kids soon! :) And in the near future (once Cara is weaned), I'd love to join a community band/orchestra and get back to playing my flute. Anyhow, those are my short-term goals for now. Have you, fellow mamas, been thinking about what YOU like to do for fun recently?

Alrighty, I should get to bed before Cara wakes up again. :) You know how it goes....g'night!

6 comments:

davohuang said...

I bought the same camera kit from Costco in May! You will love it! Glad to hear things are going well.

Anonymous said...

I would have suggested a lightly padded nursing bra to hide the nursing pads, but glad the Bravado worked for you.

So many moms love those. I know I did!

Sheryl said...

Hey Jackie!
My friend Bridget just bought a Singer 4205 Inspiration machine...http://www.singerco.com/products/ She really likes it because it is basic.

Congrats on Cara's birth again!!!

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

What do you know...I bought a Bravado nursing bra a few months ago...and LOVE IT too! I will enjoy hearing about your sewing machine adventures...I've been thinking about getting one too. Isn't funny how having children makes you want to be all crafty and homemade?!

Unknown said...

I am amazed at how you are handling 3 kiddies! Absolutely amazed!!!

I also think you should take up knitting. There's just great satisfaction in being able to create something from yarn. It also doesn't take up a lot of space (unless you end up with a great big stash), is easily transportable, and once you get going, something you can multi-task with. Plus baby/kid things are small and knit up quickly, so there's the more instant gratification of a finished project.

Hope you are doing well! Also, can you send me your new address? :)

kevnjacks said...

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

Dave - we'll hafta exchange camera tips sometime!

Sheryl - I'll hafta check out the Singer, as well. Haven't made the purchase quite yet...

Annie - still researching the sewing machine but being a mommy definitely makes you more 'domesticky' in a good way! ;)

Carol - will email you soon! :)